Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Political music

I've been hearing a lot about how bad it is for musicians to sing a political song. And not just from Brandon Rexrode either! I think musicians have every right to sing about their personal politics, just as much as they have every right to sing about their personal struggles, the people they love, and the things they hate.

If people are easily swayed by a rock song, or a rap song, so be it. They're the kind of people who are going to have their political opinion swayed by something no matter what because they're too dense to look into the issues. It's the same as having your opinion swayed by Fahrenheit 9/11, or the counterpoint funded by the Bush administration, FahrenHYPE 9/11.

It happens as much on the right as the left--just look at all the pro-Iraqi-war music released in the country music scene, or the most recent album release from Gene Simmons.

I'm sick and tired of the entire election. I'm tired of hearing nineteen messages from the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Michael J. Fox, in addition to the candidates themselves, on my answering machine. I'm tired of all the goddamn mudslinging. While I'll be upset if Bush wins, I'll still be glad that this is all over with.

Of course, it won't be. We still have a month of recounts and bitching from both sides.

God bless America.

No comments: