Wednesday, October 22, 2003

A Fond Farewell

Elliott, I never got a chance to meet you. I never got a chance to know you personally, as many of your fans did. I never got a chance to devote a website to you. I never got a chance to see you play your music live. However, through your art, you have moved me. There are no words that can express how much your music has meant to me. Through your poetry, I feel as though I have known you personally for many years–like you were one of my best friends. I’ve never known another artist I could relate to as well as I could relate to you. Simple yet elegant songs of sadness and depression, love and heartbreak. Everything that has happened to me in my life I can relate to your songs.

Well, Elliott, I hope you don't mind that I steal your words to honor your memory. "I’m never going to know you now, but I’m going to love you anyhow." Never will a day go by that I will not remember your contribution to the modern music scene; never will a day go by that I will not sing a song you've written; and never will a day go by that I won't remember the way you changed my life. Rest in peace, Elliott. I’ll see you in heaven.

No comments: